Top Six Thrifting Tips For New Thrifters


Sorry for the long pause in posts. I took a holiday hiatus from the blog and projects, which proved to be much needed as they were crazy busy. I did little thrifting over Christmas but did put together 6 of my top thrifting tips for beginner thrifters:




1. Get friendly- Each store has a schedule of when they mark down, restock shelves and have special promotions. Ask the employees about when these happen.

2.Become a member- Some stores offer club cards. It’s free so take it. It usually comes with % off days for card members and email promotions.

3.Get to know each store- Every store is different, even large chain stores like Goodwill vary from store to store. Learn which department each store thrives in, ex. Shoes, house ware, fabric, clothing, But is can even be more specific than that. Some stores have a great dress collection, or always have great coats; one store may have lower prices or more vintage pieces. Knowing this can help you save time in the long run.

4.Be Patient and Meticulous- Thrifting is fun, but it can also be tiring, and tedious. Don’t expect it to be like shopping at the mall, you’re sifting through peoples rejects after all, so it won’t be a walk in the park. You need to dig deep, literally and mentally sometimes to find the treasures, but once you find that awesome one-of-a-kind piece, it will all be worth it.

5.Go full and thrift happy-   If you are at all like me, I have a serious personality disorder called, “food anger”. I may seem fine on the car ride there, but as soon as that tummy grumbles I have been known to turn green and rip through my clothes in hysterics… Maybe not quite, but I do lose all ambition and if thrifting was at all on the schedule it’s just going to have to wait. So take it from me and don’t thrift while hungry…it’s just dangerous.

6.Learn to leave empty handed- I imagine some people think I walk into a store and 10 minutes later walk out in wondrous triumph, arms full of glorious vintage clothing… that’s called…a fantasy. It takes time, and a lot of times, I walk out empty handed. You have to learn that it is ok to not buy something. There will always be “good deals”, but there is a fine line between a thrifter and a hoarder and I’d much rather learn constraint than end up on an episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive in a few years.

I promise I’ll get back to my projects next week, or as soon as I can find a moment of daylight to take photos. YAY for the onset of longer daysJ

2 comments: